Fact 1: Iowa is ranked #10 in the preseason USA Today Coaches' Poll
The last time Iowa was ranked near this high in the preseason was 2005 when the Coaches' pegged the Hawkeyes as #11. Those lofty expectations didn't turn out so well for Iowa that year, so I'm hoping this year will be different. The rest of the top 10:
- Ohio State
- Boise State
- Virigina Tech
Fact 2: Photos are fun!
I always have a good time digging through the practice photos posted on hawkeyesports.com trying to make predictions about the team. Today's photos provide a few good tidbits.
- Photo 6 - A.J. Derby (#17) is seen in the yellow offense jersey. Maybe that will put to bed the Derby to linebacker rumor. However, also note that he is not in the silvery jersey that Stanzi, Vandenberg, and Wienke are wearing...so I'm starting a Derby to tight end rumor.
- Phot 13 - Tyler Sash has killed Justin Greiner.
- Photo 18 - Who the heck is Jordan Price? I had never heard of him, but he's apparently a cornerback from Eden Prairie, Minnesota. He's probably a walk on who will be on the scout team.
Fact 3: Ferentz and DJK get along fine
Kirk Ferentz was rather lighthearted today and gave at least 5 or 6 Ferentz-snorts while talking about his relationship with DJK. Other than that pretty typical Ferentz stuff. Here's a quick run down of notes I took while listening to the presser live. Here's a link to watch the video of the press conference in case you missed it.
- Griggs is transferring.
- Return game has great depth (lots of skill players you could throw back there).
- Place kickers still in dead heat.
- Hampton is fully healthy...similar to Robinson and Wegher. Pretty even, maybe a rotation unless one guy has a Shonn Greene like year.
- Petersen practicing but limited contact.
- Hyde has looked good since they recruited him.
- Stanzi, Clayborn, and Klug are the only locks.
- Wienke has improved as much as anyone.
- Ferentz is like DJK's dad...when he leave's home (i.e. The University of Iowa) he can twitter away.
- Morris looked good and could be in mix this fall.
Fact 4: Norm isn't going anywhere
And Derby is staying at quarterback.
Fact 5: Every ticket to the 7 home games have been sold
If you're in the same boat as me and were denied season tickets, or if you were just looking for some single game tickets, then you're too late. Every single seat in Kinnick has been sold. The number of season tickets sold went up by about 10,000 to over 59,000 and single game tickets were only available to Eastern Illinois and Ball State. Now you're only options are through the secondary market. I fully would recommend getting your Iowa Football tickets on Stubhub as that's probably your best bet.
Fact 6: Kids Day at Kinnick is August 14
So maybe you don't want to shell out loads of money for tickets but still want a chance to see the team...well bring your kids out to the open practice next weekend (it's free!). It starts a 12:00 and will be 2 hours. The gates open at 11:00. I'm not sure yet if I'll be there, but I went to the spring open practice and had a good time.