Result: Win 24-7
Record: 3-1 (2-1)
Ranking: 25/NR (AP/Coaches)
ESPN360: Watch Game
- Rushing: GT - 17 yards, UNC - 17 yards
- Turnovers: GT - 0, UNC - 3
- 3rd Down: GT - 10/19, UNC - 1/11
- 2nd quarter: A bad snap leads to a North Carolina turnover and great field position for the Yellow Jackets.
- 3rd quarter: After forcing a Tech punt, UNC throws an interception on first down giving the ball right back to GT, who takes it in for a TD a couple plays later.
This was Georgia Tech's best defensive effort of the year. They held North Carolina to just 17 rushing yards and 154 yards overall. If not for a late 40-yard TD pass, North Carolina wouldn't have scored. GT also forced 3 turnovers and turned them into 10 points.
This game was also not as close as the final score indicated. Georgia Tech held the ball for over 42 minutes and consistently drove the ball deep into UNC territory. If it weren't for 2 missed field goals and some questionable clock management at the end of the first half (running up the middle with no timeouts = bad idea), then the it would have been even more lopsided.